Do you want to be a key employee on a young and nimble team on the verge of an epic agtech adventure? Are you a plant scientist, agronomist, agtech champion or cultivation specialists? Are you passionate about the future of food production? Look no further. ONNA is challenging today’s food systems by democratizing how we grow vegetables.
ONNA is on a mission to build a more sustainable and transparent food system. Our vertical farms and controlled environment technology will reduce the environmental burden and negative externalities of food production.In parallel, we seek to increase Nordic food independence in the face of climate change. We encourage a plant-based diet by making remarkable flavour and nutrition easily available.
ONNA is a pioneer in sustainable Indoor Vertical Farming, and is currently building Norway’s first large scale vertical farm – where we will integrate renewable energy andCO₂, fresh water conservation, climate control, and hydroponics to enable the year-round production of premium produce. Our farm will be in operation toward the end of 2021, and will be the first of several vertical farms as ONNA expands throughout the Nordics in the coming years.
ONNA is a data driven farm looking for a SeniorGrower who is excited about innovation and consistency in our high tech farm.If you enjoy working in a fast-paced energetic environment, ONNA is for you! We see people as the enablers for our technology and delicious fresh produce.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
ONNA is searching for an entrepreneurial and professional candidate with experience growing leafy greens & herbs in greenhouses or indoor vertical farms, hydroponically. The right candidate has managed a >1 Ha leafy greens& herbs farm and would like to take up the challenge to be the SeniorGrower to establish our new >3,500 m² project (with significant future expansion beyond the Farm#1 facility).
As the Senior Grower, you will be responsible for the planning and execution of ONNA’s seed to harvest processes, and recipes across multiple leafy & herb crops within a food safe environment and leading to achieve predictable and adaptable harvests. Knowledge/experience of climate and irrigation systems, interpreting their real time and historical data to meet daily and weekly production plans, is key. This is an experienced-level position requiring strong leadership skills to build and run a team of growers and crop support staff in order to reliably produce great tasting greens.
This will be a very hands-on role where you will be harvesting and transplanting crops, monitoring and controlling plant nutrition, and managing high-intensity plant production equipment.
The Senior Grower will oversee and direct a variety of farm-wide activities:
LEAFY GREENS & HERBS PRODUCTION - Responsible for direct oversight of Leafy Greens& Herbs production, although focused on growing and agronomy work streams;
- Refine seeding and growing tasks to produce predictable high yield fresh produce to meet weekly demand
- Coordinate equipment, raw materials, processing tools, training and resource balancing to meet daily seeding, transplanting and harvesting schedules
- Refine guidelines for crop tasks with time commitments
- Monitors and adjusts irrigation, nutrient, lighting and climate to grow a uniform crop, and optimize plant health and output
- Establish and maintains food safe environment and processes including daily cleaning with crop support staff
- Conducts 24-7 farm grow cycle scheduling and coverage to ensure no farm disruption
- Comply with all farm and government regulations
- Assist in the maintenance of the Food Safety andQuality system
LEADERSHIP - Manage a team of crop support staff to achieve forecasted results while constantly ensuring leafy greens & herbs production cycle meets customer quality and quantity requirements;
- Responsible for making sure all employees Comply with Good Agricultural Practises in the Facility
- Responsible for making sure all employees are completingFood Safety tasks (monitoring activities, logs, sanitation duties, etc)
- Work closely with ONNA wider team members to achieve operational and horticultural excellence, develop new projects, and otherwise grow ONNA’s business;
PROJECT DEVELOPMENT - Support all aspects of project development including: variety evaluation and selection, growing cycle considerations, indoor vertical farm equipment selection and other infrastructure assessments, and other ad hoc responsibilities;
INDUSTRY KNOWLEDGE - Keep abreast of industry trends and innovations in growing strategies
LOCATION - Moss,Norway on a Full-Time permanent basis;
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE,AND QUALIFICATIONS
- A proven track record as a greenhouse or indoor vertical farm hydroponics leafy greens or herbs grower with 5+ years of experience
- Direct management responsibilities leading a team of crop support staff
- Experience in an environment where disciplined process, product quality, on-time deliveries and attention to cleanliness is paramount
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions
- Food Safety - understanding of processes, tools, cleaning techniques, worker clothing and behavior to meet and exceeds food safety requirements for the proper work zone
- A high professional proficiency in English is essential, with a preference for candidates with Norwegian language skills
- Ability to use Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint,Outlook), at a minimum
- Interested in technological innovation and development of new growing techniques
- Adequate professional BSc education to meet the requirements of this position
- Good references from past employers
- Willing to be based full time at the Moss facility ONNA develops and available for international travel as required
- Hands-on, energetic, and results oriented team player
- Excellent operational skills
- Strong attention to detail and data driven, ability to multi-task/prioritize key responsibilities
- Confidence and presence to work with junior and senior members of the ONNA team
OFFER AND STARTING DATES
- A competitive annual remuneration package
- Position start date: Position is open now, ideally targeting a start in Q32021
ONNA’s CORE VALUES:
- ONNA is a company for the future
- We are ambassadors for change
- Rebellious acts inspire us
- We work TOGETHER
- Our products are extremely local-and that is our strength
- We help people make educated choices
- We believe, to the very core of our being, in a more sustainable tomorrow
Please send cover letter and CV to email@example.com
We are looking for candidates who are available ASAP.
We are doing something that has never been done before in Norway, and as a result we are weighting mindset and personality equally to previous experience. This is a great opportunity to assume responsibility and grow within the company quickly. As we say at ONNA: The only way is up!